Nepal Human Rights International Film Festival (NHRIFF) has established as a forum for advocating human rights via films. The voices of the people and the issues of human rights are not sufficiently raised in the film in Nepal. Film festival is not targeted in the issues of human rights. So, the project, ‘Nepal Human Rights International Film Festival’ will focus on those issues dealt above. Festival will be dedicated to the vulnerable communities who are historically backward in Nepal.
The Sixth Nepal Human Rights International Film Festival (NHRIFF) will be held during 7-10, March, 2018 in Kathmandu. Around 60 selected films from around the globe made on human rights issues, especially on gender equality, will be screened during the festival. The film screening will be held at two auditoriums in Kathmandu. All the screenings will be followed by discussion on the film with the filmmakers if available.
The films will be screened under following sections
- Competition section
The films produced during 2016 and 2017 will be eligible to participate in this section. The films need to be based on at least one aspect of human rights. They could be both fictions and documentaries. The films need to fulfill all the criteria set by the organizing committee. We have also received numbers of film which stories are related to refuge, migration, conflict and displacement.
- Special Screening
Special films that could not fulfill all the criteria of competitive section but are important in raising human rights issues will be screened in this section. This section will also cover such films, which may not want to compete under the other section. Films from partners of the NHRIFF, which are qualified for being selected for the festival but could not participate in the competitive section due to conflict of interest, will also, be screened under this section. Films related to refuge will be screened in this category this year.
- Partners’ Panorama
This section will screen the films produced by organizations, who are partners of the 6thNepal Human Rights International Film Festival. These films will not be recognized as official entries to the festival. But the festival will only provide a platform for the partners to show their works.
Objectives of 6th NHRIFF
- To provide space for interaction between film makers and human rights defenders, especially on rights of women
- To enhance understanding of the situation of rights of women in the country through the understanding of that in other countries around the globe
- To encourage and empower film makers from Nepal to make films on rights of women and to value their rights during filmmaking process
- To encourage HR defenders working on different issue to make films for HR education, advocacy and monitoring
- To provide opportunity for Nepali filmmakers to interact with filmmakers from other countries and share experiences.